The Boss Board Online Community

Full Version: Official Slaughterhouse "welcome to: Our House" Thread (Now Available)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
(09-02-2012, 03:17 PM)CheGuevara link Wrote:Overall I think the album is disappointing. It doesn't even feel like an album, it's more of a collection of songs and not even a great collection. Where are the skits to show off the humour of the group or to connect one track to the next?? And no Premier on there...c'mon man!
I just feel like Eminem has had too much of an influence on the album coz the beats and ideas of most tracks suit him more than SH. The Asylum track is BS and the Skylab Grey tracks are so boring and have no rhythm at all. It's just a weird album and I'm really surprised at how they've totally missed such a great opportunity to re-shape the game. Really disappointed but I still bought it coz they my niggaz. Still.

Peace

Thought the album was cohesive and had a nice concept. Do you want every song to sound the same? The music game ain't a box and it was time for these guys to put out a "mainstream friendlier" album so they can push units and make money. The type of music you're asking for is constantly being delivered by these guys at random times. Enjoy this album for what its supposed to accomplish because there's a lot more music to come.

Thought the album was cohesive and had a nice concept. Do you want every song to sound the same? The music game ain't a box and it was time for these guys to put out a "mainstream friendlier" album so they can push units and make money. The type of music you're asking for is constantly being delivered by these guys at random times. Enjoy this album for what its supposed to accomplish because there's a lot more music to come.
[/quote]

I feel you man but I just think that the collective is capable of delivering better tracks than what the album offers. I get the whole mainstream approach and I'm cool with that coz there are some tracks I like but just not enough in my opinion. I really feel that the beats aren't that great considering Shady Records could get any producer around. It was just a giant anti-climax to the long wait in my humble opinion. Overall it sounded forced and maybe a little rushed in some strange way.

Peace
Unless they outsale tobymac with physical sales it looks like they will bebut #2....toby is like 7 or 8 and slaughterhouse fell to 12 or 13. Anyone know if those bestbuy shows were high in attendence?  Hopefully those would of helped spike sales i wanna see them at #1.
(09-02-2012, 11:33 PM)blackjezus link Wrote:Unless they outsale tobymac with physical sales it looks like they will bebut #2....toby is like 7 or 8 and slaughterhouse fell to 12 or 13. Anyone know if those bestbuy shows were high in attendence?  Hopefully those would of helped spike sales i wanna see them at #1.

The one in Jersey was a madhouse. Don't know about the other 3 though.
(09-03-2012, 12:51 AM)aLCapone link Wrote:[quote author=blackjezus link=topic=6882.msg301624#msg301624 date=1346643227]
Unless they outsale tobymac with physical sales it looks like they will bebut #2....toby is like 7 or 8 and slaughterhouse fell to 12 or 13. Anyone know if those bestbuy shows were high in attendence?  Hopefully those would of helped spike sales i wanna see them at #1.

The one in Jersey was a madhouse. Don't know about the other 3 though.
[/quote]

the one out here in LA was packed also
(09-01-2012, 10:58 PM)highlandp323 link Wrote:[quote author=aLCapone link=topic=6882.msg301598#msg301598 date=1346535514]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFCQItmLjww

damn this dude completely bashed it along with the new nas album..he pretty much said it was on par with the  2chainz album,well it all comes down to personal preference and theres no point in debating with someone when there mind is made up and if this album ends up number 2 then its kool still higher than nothing..reminds me of how big puns capital punishment was number 5 on the top 200 even though that shit was fire and a classic 2 this day! now imma just sit back and wait for the horse shoe gang project
[/quote]

I agree with the substance of this guy's criticism but I have a much more positive take on the album. Will post shortly.
(08-31-2012, 05:43 PM)aLCapone link Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBuyT0PN-r4

A half-hour review of an hour-long album? This has fail written all over it.
My Amazon review:
"Welcome to Our House" (WtOH) is the long-awaited result of Eminen's endorsement of the Slaughterhouse project back in 2009 when Crooked I, Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, and Royce da 5'9 unexpectedly appeared behind him in the "Forever" music video. Eminem produced much of WtOH and mixed it as well, so it's no exaggeration to say that he Slaughterhouse's fifth member.

WtOH is both lengthy and dense; few hip hop albums have 18 tracks of music and so few skits (only two), and even fewer deliver solid lyricism so consistently from beginning to end. This album is a like slice of chocolate cake so rich that you have to stop eating it midway, take a milk break, and then come back to complete. If you savor and appreciate each track, you probably won't be able to listen to the whole thing from beginning to end in one sitting.

The replay value of these 18 tracks is phenomenal. Each track is packed with funny/brilliant punchlines, complex rhyme schemes, meter changes, and a gamut of raw emotions - anger, elation, frustration, sorrow, fear - as the four MCs rhyme about fame corrupting their friendships, dealing with their kids and "crazy baby mamas," staying at the top of rap's lyrical pecking order, and escaping the street life thanks to hard work, talent, and lucky breaks (which they are cognizant and appreciative of).

WtOH is one of the few albums that merits a track-by-track review, but I'll stick to the standouts so as not to ruin the surprise and pleasure of discovering and experiencing the depth of each track for yourself. "Get Up" is probably the most motivating track and my personal favorite. Skylar Grey lends her trademark haunting and melancholy vocals to two of the album's somber, serious tracks, "Rescue Me" and "Our House." "Goodbye" is poignant, with Budden saying farewell to miscarried twins, Crooked rapping about losing the uncle who filled in for his deadbeat dad to cancer, and Ortiz rhyming about his grandmother passing away. The four MCs deal with their own humanity in the sad but somehow uplifting "The Other Side," where Royce confesses that if his wife died he'd want to die alone (unusual since rappers generally claim "bitches ain't shit" and pretend to be completely emotionally attached to women) and Ortiz lays bare his problems with one of his baby mamas.

Underlying all of the tracks is a feeling of triumph, of total victory over all the haters and doubters (a doubter is just a hater who hasn't come out of the closet). I picked up on this triumphant feeling even before I heard Royce on the chorus of "Our Way" sing: "We made it / But we did it our way." For four MCs who have been in the rap game since the mid to late 1990s, WtOH is the pinnacle of their careers thus far, careers that have been an unending series of frustrating false starts, deals fallen through, and delayed/cancelled projects all of which bred cynicism among rap fans that the Slaughterhouse project would produce anything more than quality internet mixtapes given their individual career trajectories. WtOH proves that Slaughterhouse is much greater than the sum of its parts in this regard, and every track on this album is like the endzone dance of a football team that was never supposed to have a chance of getting into the Superbowl much less scoring touchdowns.

As good as WtOH is, it's not flawless. "Walk of Shame" and "Throw That" (featuring Eminem) are straight garbage, pure recycle bin material for anyone's computer. These two are also the album's most misogynistic, woman-hating tracks, so deleting them is a double pleasurable. Although Slaughterhouse managed to put some witty and clever lines on both tracks, it was a waste of talent.

The choruses for "Flip a Bird," "Throw it Away," and "Frat House" are lame/annoying but the four MCs' lyricism not only rescues them from the skip button but makes them enjoyable overall.

The last blemish on the otherwise flawless facade of WtOH is the identical structure of all the tracks. Each MC takes his turn on each beat, dropping 16 or 32 bars. This formula is rinsed and repeated 18 times (although Royce didn't have a verse on "Goodbye"); there is almost no interweaving between the four MCs a la Royce and Eminem on the Bad Meets Evil album. Ortiz and Budden trade bars back and forth with each other for a minute on "Frat House," but aside from that, each MC sticks to his own bloc of time. A related issue is that, while the four of them stick to a unifying theme for each track, not once do they craft a unified story over the course of their four verses. These four gave us "Three Sides to a Story," "Part of Me," "125 part 4," and "My Life 2.0," so it's clear that Slaughterhouse hasn't even begun to tap into their collective story-telling abilities. Maybe we'll see these elements in a more developed form on their next release.

These minor blemishes pale in comparison to what is a solid achievement by four rap titans who are finally getting their due.

(if you like it, vote me up: http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-To-Our-Hou...Descending there are some awful reviews there)
On the local Top 5 Albums chart in Knoxville, TN, Welcome To: Our House is #2.
anita, those arent hoe hating songs, they true songs lmao. if a hoe gon be a hoe she get the hoe treatment, simple as that.I found the song amusing , You gotta go THAT AWAYlol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28