The Boss Board Online Community
The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - Printable Version

+- The Boss Board Online Community (http://www.thebossboard.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Site Issues (http://www.thebossboard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Rules/Announcements (http://www.thebossboard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site (/showthread.php?tid=1433)

Pages: 1 2

The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - effex - 09-18-2009

What's up?

Due to the fact that this site tends to render improperly on most mobile devices, I have started putting together a stripped down site for cellular browsers. At this moment, the site's front page is similar to this site's front page, but is mainly used to read recent news headlines. It also offers the ability to see recent forum discuss as the main site does.

However,  I am curious as to what the members would find beneficial to this stripped down website. Which pages do you guys tend to use the most and what functionality would you like to see.

Remember, it has to be simplified for compatibility.

I'll make an announcement when it launches.

Re: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - dalj93 - 09-19-2009

Lol I was just about to ask you to make a website for the mobile because I mostly visit from my iPhone and it takes a long time to load up because of all the pictures etc! The thing that I only use is view unread posts so I can see what everyones saying!

Re: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - cymba - 09-19-2009

Effex, I would love a mobile site. However, if it is a lot of work for you, you shouldn't do it. There is not much demand for it, and you do enough work as-is (which we all appreciate BTW!!!) with this site and the Twitter page as well.

If its not too much work, I would love it, but if its a lot of work, then I wouldn't bother. I gotta admit, I don't know if many hip-hop sites have adapted the mobile format yet (if any), so if you do do this, you might be pretty innovative and this site might get flooded with new users.

BTW, if you do m.google.com and search for "the boss board" vs. going to directly to the site on a mobile browser, Google will format the site and is viewed easier, but it is a pain in the fucking ass hitting the down button a hundred times!, but you can view everything that way.

Re: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - [COB] - 09-19-2009

<3 for this idea!!

yes itd be superb if you could!

news and undread posts are the main thing, picturs are not

Re: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - effex - 09-19-2009

(09-19-2009, 10:27 AM)cymba link Wrote: Effex, I would love a mobile site. However, if it is a lot of work for you, you shouldn't do it. There is not much demand for it, and you do enough work as-is (which we all appreciate BTW!!!) with this site and the Twitter page as well.

If its not too much work, I would love it, but if its a lot of work, then I wouldn't bother. I gotta admit, I don't know if many hip-hop sites have adapted the mobile format yet (if any), so if you do do this, you might be pretty innovative and this site might get flooded with new users.

BTW, if you do m.google.com and search for "the boss board" vs. going to directly to the site on a mobile browser, Google will format the site and is viewed easier, but it is a pain in the fucking ass hitting the down button a hundred times!, but you can view everything that way.

Well, you know what it is. The site was coded in a very unconventional way and my master plan is to recode the site from scratch so that the site displays properly on any browser (including smart phones). However, I figured it would be quicker right now to build the stripped down mobile site for news. It wouldn't require a different URL believe it or not, I'd just redirect mobile browsers to that specific page.

In the long run probably over the next couple months I'm going to be updating the main site though. The benefits would be increased loading time, increased compatibility and possibly higher rankings in search engines such as Google. This will just be behind the scenes work, probably little difference if any to the user's point of view.

Re: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - dalj93 - 10-11-2009

Effex how are you going with this idea?

Re: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - [COB] - 10-11-2009

please need. i pre ordered a palm pre from o2, and i have no BB in my new uni house, till next month, so i NEED this aswell Big Grin

Re: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - effex - 10-12-2009

It's still in the making don't worry, near ready to launch. I just need to work a couple bugs out cause it's displaying terribly on some platforms.

On the front page it's just going to be the most recent news articles and forum discussion. However, you will be able to search the news archives as well.

That will be the first launch. Then I will add additional features as time goes on.

Re: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - Lamont - 11-23-2009

would be great if you could set that up. I'm on my blackberry almost all of the time, as I'm out and about for most parts of the day.

Again, great work you've done so far, and I'm sure, will continue doing in the future.

Re: The B.O.S.S. Board - Mobile Web Site - effex - 11-23-2009

(11-23-2009, 04:40 PM)Novakane link Wrote: would be great if you could set that up. I'm on my blackberry almost all of the time, as I'm out and about for most parts of the day.

Again, great work you've done so far, and I'm sure, will continue doing in the future.

Just give me another week or so, it's a project I have been doing on the side. It's got some bugs to work out because mobile browsers are so different from one another.

I'll get something up very soon, I didn't forget about it.