Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merge Sub-Boards?
What's up everyone?

So, after browsing through the board today, I started questioning the amount of sub-forums we have on this site.

For example - Crooked I discussion includes separate sections for Interviews, Lyrics, Multimedia and Performances.

Recently, I have considering dropping the separate Interview sections and merging them with the main Crooked I (or Slaughterhouse, etc) boards. We could then merge Multimedia and Performances. We can leave lyrics as it is. That way there is only 2 sub sections per artist.

This way the boards are more straight forward and require less maintenance. Members don't have to second guess where to put stuff as much too.

What does everyone else think? Any suggestions?
My other idea was to just have two sub-forums for each artist. Just "Lyrics" and "Music". I'd then dump the other threads back into the main sections. I'm not sure if that's too drastic.

Again, any opinions would be appreciated, I don't want to take a major step like this without our members input. Thanks.
Maybe we could take out the Interviews sub-board by kinda like what we got going on in this thread http://thebossboard.com/forum/index.php?topic=5221.0 except we'll link to all of the interviews' respective websites instead of threads, then put all the links into one thread, arrange them by Year Newest To Oldest & place the finished product into the main board, then sticky it and maybe lock it to keep it from getting spammed.

I guess we could do the same thing for the Perfomances sub-board except we'll arrange them by Tour/Venue then arrange them further by Year Newest To Oldest, but a problem will arise, since most of our perfomance threads link to youtube, they automatically use the embed player, instead of actually linking to the youtube page, and if we were to place all those embed players into one thread, not only would the page load EXTREMELY it would also be very bad for members with bandwidth caps, but if you got a way around it, then I'd suppose it's all good, and you'll be down to 2 sub-boards for every main board just like you want.

Now we run into the biggest hurdle, who wants to keep Archive Threads up-to-date, since I'm assuming The Almighty Administrator of The B.O.S.S. Board will be the one to create them.

If you decide to do it I honestly think this is the most organized way, but it might take the most work too, but at least we wouldn't be adding 5-15 more pages of threads into the main board.

I hope this jumbled mess helps. lol!
(09-25-2011, 02:54 AM)Hood R.A.T. link Wrote:Maybe we could take out the Interviews sub-board by kinda like what we got going on in this thread http://thebossboard.com/forum/index.php?topic=5221.0 except we'll link to all of the interviews' respective websites instead of threads, then put all the links into one thread, arrange them by Year Newest To Oldest & place the finished product into the main board, then sticky it and maybe lock it to keep it from getting spammed.

I guess we could do the same thing for the Perfomances sub-board except we'll arrange them by Tour/Venue then arrange them further by Year Newest To Oldest, but a problem will arise, since most of our perfomance threads link to youtube, they automatically use the embed player, instead of actually linking to the youtube page, and if we were to place all those embed players into one thread, not only would the page load EXTREMELY it would also be very bad for members with bandwidth caps, but if you got a way around it, then I'd suppose it's all good, and you'll be down to 2 sub-boards for every main board just like you want.

Now we run into the biggest hurdle, who wants to keep Archive Threads up-to-date, since I'm assuming The Almighty Administrator of The B.O.S.S. Board will be the one to create them.

If you decide to do it I honestly think this is the most organized way, but it might take the most work too, but at least we wouldn't be adding 5-15 more pages of threads into the main board.

I hope this jumbled mess helps. lol!

Wasn't too jumbled and I think it's a good idea

Performances are multimedia anyway(most interviews probably are too since they're usually videos) and interviews can easily be a stickied topic in either the main board or the multimedia board
 Defective Crooked I Robot
Your idea so far is a great idea. It's not a bad one either. I guess the problem is that it will be a lot to maintain and I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with it. The other thing I'm worried about is if we are simply posting interviews and performances in a single thread, it will lead to some members (probably less active ones) posting the same interview in a thread of it's own. Thus creating more clutter and more merging, deleting and moving. Pretty much what we are trying to avoid.

The only reason I was thinking about dumping interviews into the main section is for the following reason. News and interviews are both pretty much the same thing. We post news in the main boards so any interviews that contain important updates will be easier to find.

Keep in mind I am NOT disregarding your idea, it's a good one. I'm going to way all the pros and cons of all suggestions before changing anything as it will definitely impact the way the forum works.

Thanks!
(09-25-2011, 07:05 PM)EFFeX link Wrote:Your idea so far is a great idea. It's not a bad one either. I guess the problem is that it will be a lot to maintain and I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with it. The other thing I'm worried about is if we are simply posting interviews and performances in a single thread, it will lead to some members (probably less active ones) posting the same interview in a thread of it's own. Thus creating more clutter and more merging, deleting and moving. Pretty much what we are trying to avoid.

The only reason I was thinking about dumping interviews into the main section is for the following reason. News and interviews are both pretty much the same thing. We post news in the main boards so any interviews that contain important updates will be easier to find.

Keep in mind I am NOT disregarding your idea, it's a good one. I'm going to way all the pros and cons of all suggestions before changing anything as it will definitely impact the way the forum works.

Thanks!
Thanks for bringing those issues to light didn't realize either of those, and here's a possible solution to both of them, I was thinking about appointing a group of members, that has certain permissions, kind of like a moderator, but they can only moderate the Archive Thread, preferably some of our most active members (that want to... of course), to specifically maintain the Archive Thread, and then send a PM to all other members that lists the members in that group and tells them that if they find a new Interview that's not yet posted in the Archive Thread, PM a link to the interview to one of the members in the group as opposed to cluttering up the main board.

The main reason why I think using an Archive Thread is better than just dumping them into the board, is because I'd rather fish through a thread trying to find an interview as opposed fishing through the 35 pages of threads in the main Crooked I board trying to find the specific thread that contains the Wake Up Show interview that has the freestyle I'm looking for. lol

Now we just have to come up with a name for the group & set a criteria for selecting members for the group, obviously the amount of time they spend online will be one the most important factors, if not the most important, but I can't really think of anymore, can you EFFeX?
Bringing this topic back, I'm still considering this...

Additionally, I was toying with the idea of merging the COB / Treacherous Records boards... what's people's opinions on that?