Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firefox Web Browser Question
Not sure how many "tech" guys there are here, but I guess we'll find out.  I downloaded the Mozilla Firefox Web Browser yesterday, and for whatever reason I am getting lots of pop up ads ever since.  Even when I'm not online.  I thought I had spyware or something but when I scan for it, I find nothing.  Anyone know what might be doing this and how to get rid of it?  The browser is real good aside from this...
Check out some add ons that can block the pop ups etc.

Unless you have your homepage set to something questionable you should be ok

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
yep dats right u shouldnt get pop ups unless your on some dodgy website and also check if your firewall is still working
Go to the firefox "add-ons" site, and search for Adblock Plus. Then just install that and you SHOULD never get a pop up, never see one of those stupid banners with the little games in them or any of that shit ever again. It really is the best thing ever.
Just like the other guys said, AdBlockPlus is your friend it's not totally flawless, but you have some customization options.

Not sure which sites you are going to be if you are really in trouble you can download NoScript which will disable "code" on sites and let you choose which sites you want to allow. That may not be the right choice for you and could be more hassle than necessary.
I'll check that out tonight.  Hopefully it fixes the problem for me.  I get popups on msn.com (our homepage), hell I even got a pop up here! lol
(04-06-2009, 01:19 PM)Akademic link Wrote: I'll check that out tonight.  Hopefully it fixes the problem for me.  I get popups on msn.com (our homepage), hell I even got a pop up here! lol

You shouldn't be getting any pop-ups here at all as all the code is written by myself and there's no embedded ads. Very strange.

Have you did a search for adware and spyware lately? I'd recommend downloading Lavasoft AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy.
Yeah I did.  It caught a few things in Cookies and deleted them but that was all
(04-06-2009, 03:30 PM)Akademic link Wrote: Yeah I did.  It caught a few things in Cookies and deleted them but that was all

Strange... Well hopefully that ad on will work for you then.

It's good cause it blocks pop-ups and you can specifically block ads on web pages that you don't want showing too.
Yeah give it a whirl, done the job for me before!! Can tweak it a bit to suit yourself otherwise its very easily done.