Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firefox Web Browser Question
yeah I had mcafee before and it ran out.  Really seemed to bog my computer down though, and was high maintainence.  I do need something different though.  I apparently chose a new antivirus company very poorly lol
(04-08-2009, 12:30 PM)Akademic link Wrote: yeah I had mcafee before and it ran out.  Really seemed to bog my computer down though, and was high maintainence.  I do need something different though.  I apparently chose a new antivirus company very poorly lol

Do you have all your windows updates and Java (if installed) all up to date also?
Yeah. 

I guess I'm ahead of myself though, because I have to be able to shake this virus before I get something new.  Everyone wants $100 MORE to remove it!
effex i hope i am allowed to post this:

*LINK REMOVED*

this is what i use, albeit on windows 7 64bit, but that veriosn is for XP 32 bt.

basically just click the exe and itll do a silent install. then reboot and itll be there.

it has a unlimited trial version which gives you eset for ever. and it updates.

with all the PCs i build for clients i always use this, and have never recived a complaint.

plus it uses shite all resources.
Quote: link=topic=694.msg254130#msg254130 date=1239256825]
effex i hope i am allowed to post this:

*LINK REMOVED*

this is what i use, albeit on windows 7 64bit, but that veriosn is for XP 32 bt.

basically just click the exe and itll do a silent install. then reboot and itll be there.

it has a unlimited trial version which gives you eset for ever. and it updates.

with all the PCs i build for clients i always use this, and have never recived a complaint.

plus it uses shite all resources.

Thanks!  I have to get rid of the virus I have before installing this though right?
no mate, just uninstall your previous antivirus first Smile
I hate bringing this shit up again.....believe me I am done talking about it lol.....but, my computer stopped booting because of my virus.  SO I called mcafee to fix it.  They went in last night remotely and while fixing it, they rebooted.  During the reboot I got a "Fatal System Error" which according to microsoft means I need to repair/reinstall windows.  My question is, if I just say F-it and do a clean install, that should wipe EVERYTHING off my hard drive, including the virus right??  All my important programs and stuff are on an external drive, so if this will fix my issue I am down to do it!!
so long as your important docs are backed up. remember to back up your FF bookmarks etc.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4496

to back up bookamrks online Smile

what i say is to partion your HDD, 50GB for the OS, and the rest for storage.

then install programs and stuff to the OS drive and stuff liek my music/my docs/my downlaods etc ont he storage drive Smile
Quote: link=topic=694.msg254357#msg254357 date=1239901861]
so long as your important docs are backed up. remember to back up your FF bookmarks etc.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4496

to back up bookamrks online Smile

what i say is to partion your HDD, 50GB for the OS, and the rest for storage.

then install programs and stuff to the OS drive and stuff liek my music/my docs/my downlaods etc ont he storage drive Smile

That's exactly what I do, it's safer (and faster) than having everything on the OS side. I periodically back up my personal files to an external hard drive as well... actually two separate ones, LOL.

I'm a little paranoid from losing so much data over the years.
(04-16-2009, 12:57 PM)Akademic link Wrote: I hate bringing this shit up again.....believe me I am done talking about it lol.....but, my computer stopped booting because of my virus.  SO I called mcafee to fix it.  They went in last night remotely and while fixing it, they rebooted.  During the reboot I got a "Fatal System Error" which according to microsoft means I need to repair/reinstall windows.  My question is, if I just say F-it and do a clean install, that should wipe EVERYTHING off my hard drive, including the virus right??  All my important programs and stuff are on an external drive, so if this will fix my issue I am down to do it!!

If you are comfortable doing so, I'd say reformat the whole hard drive and then re-install everything. That's only if you are comfortable doing that. Otherwise just do it the normal way.

Just make sure that you have all the drivers for your third party hardware and all that.