Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Horseshoe Gang "Mixtape Monthly Vol. 10" Thread (Now Available)
Yeah I gotta say listening to MM Vol 10 after my last post and it's hard to imagine people not relating to what they are talking about, I'd also have to agree with Effex and say it very well could be just getting people to listen, though I'll always wonder if HSG and Crooked aren't too smart for the mainstream(and if that's the case I hope they never change and just get a large enough fanbase too support themselves)

And shaffaaf27 speaking of a beat list I have been toying around with the idea of setting up a "forum game" based on MM, with the idea being along the lines of one member will post the original beat and then ask for another, next member who knows what the beat is from answers and asks another one

I think I'll set that up and if people are actually interested cool, if not maybe I'll atleast get an answer or two as that has been the one downside to this as opposed to hip hop weekly, the weeklies were named after the song the beat is from where as the shoe gangs seem to rename them based on their song (which I do like, just wish I knew what the beats were)
 Defective Crooked I Robot
Quote:uso4life posted
"That is how i feel to, I let people listen to the HSG, and they like them, I don't know what it is, but everyone that listens are amazed. To be honest though, I think there are very few people who know what hip hop is about. Every song has to be able to be played in a strip club.  I don't get it really."
and
(09-01-2014, 12:31 AM)ehbunner link Wrote:Yeah I gotta say listening to MM Vol 10 after my last post and it's hard to imagine people not relating to what they are talking about, I'd also have to agree with Effex and say it very well could be just getting people to listen, though I'll always wonder if HSG and Crooked aren't too smart for the mainstream(and if that's the case I hope they never change and just get a large enough fanbase too support themselves)

i use to but i don't agree with thess anymore.  I think people can and are entitled to enjoy the music they listen to without being able to relate to it. And just because it's not lyrical doesn't mean it's garbage.  I can't relate to anything brotha lynch hung talkes about rape, serial killing and eating peoples guts. he is dope the way he tells the story of murdering people in his songs. I think its awesome.  I can't relate to kevin gates cooking crack and being in the hood errday  but I still can bump their shit cause it's dope. Kevin gates mixtape reminded me soo much of young boss volume2.  not in the lyrical sense but just the hungry crooked I that i became a fan off.  just hungry on the mike and he didn't even use any deep raps on there.  i will always hold bars and lyrics over everything  but not be all and all as i did before. I think its fine for mainstream to listen to what  non mainstream fans consider "garbage" if i'ts not lyrical it's considered garabage.  i think that is stupid man.

As far as growth, the u-gang will get more exposure.  IMO you have hh collectives like odd future and pro era but as far as indie groups pushing it right now Roster wise deep talent wise.  rhymesayers, strange music, tde and treacherous is just right there as well.  I think they could grow and have a great following like those other indie labels. 
I really want to respond to you J.P but I'm having trouble really putting my thoughts together in a nice cohesive manner. I'll do my best to keep it short and not get too much into it because I keep talking circles and it's really just an outsider trying to understand the world without even knowing what he's talking about

First I want to say that I don't want to seem like I think any music is garbage, all music is good if even one person likes it in my opinion. I fully agree with you that it's not a requirement to relate to the music you listen to, and I'm not sure relate is exactly what I was trying to get across. I think that either consciously or unconsciously people like to imagine they are in the situation and that goes for all forms of entertainment and doesn't apply to everyone of course. So in that affect, I think if you don't actually relate on some level to the shoe gang's struggle MAYBE it's harder to get into them

So when I talk about relating it's not to say that you HAVE to relate, it's more a question of would more people give them a chance IF they related to them. The intelligence thing I flip back and forth with, it might just be it is rewarding if you are someone who thinks a lot and appreciates deciphering lines

But once again, Fuck if I know! All I know is from my ears they are the best ever and while I don't expect most people to hear it that way it will always baffle me to how anyone could be a fan of hip hop and not have shoe gang and crooked in your top 10, but that's the beauty of music every ones ears will hear it differently and every one is right, only a fool would argue over music

Hopefully that sort of clears up what I meant (Fuckin' Doubt It)
(08-31-2014, 01:06 PM)EFFeX link Wrote:[quote author=509 Finest link=topic=8383.msg305318#msg305318 date=1409433096]I've been trying to log on to TheBossBoard for the last 5 months but I forgot my password, Then I found an old piece of paper that had my password on it and it worked.

What's good bro? Good to have you back!

I agree with everyone's comments. I noticed the download count on Mixtape Monthly 10 when I was downloading it and it definitely upset me. I don't necessarily think the problem is with the music at this point, it might be creative marketing?

It seems that the Horseshoe Gang is able to gain a new fan as soon as they hear the music. The problem is convincing people to hear the music. I think most people say, "Why should I listen to this? What makes them any different? All rappers claim to be better than the other." These people would have a point too. I rarely listen to new artists these days and just stick to those that I am familiar with. I thought that the monthly mixtape series would be the right direction, but I guess that there are so many artists that have gone this route after Crooked I dropped Hip Hop Weekly. Perhaps we could brainstorm some additional ways to grab people's attention? I wish that I had as much time as I did when I first opened this web site to really give it a fresh new look and grab people's attention, but I am really busy these days. It will happen eventually though. You can count on that.

I was happy to see that the Shoe Gang is performing live on stage soon. Perhaps that is really what they need at this point is to connect with the fans and get exposure in the different communities. We'll see how it works out.
[/quote]

I agree that connecting with the fans would help them a lot! Although with the minimal fan base they have I wonder if they could do a tour by themselves. I've always wondered why they have never opened for Slaughterhouse during their tours. Imagine if Slaughterhouse put out their 3rd album then toured with the HSG as their openers, that would give them a lot of exposure to 4 separate fan bases, and if people are going to a Slaughterhouse show they obviously appreciate dope lyrics and a solid Hip-Hop group. I know Royce supports HSG and obviously Crooked does. I'm sure Joell and Joe respect them as MC's as well.
(09-01-2014, 09:54 AM)ehbunner link Wrote:I really want to respond to you J.P but I'm having trouble really putting my thoughts together in a nice cohesive manner. I'll do my best to keep it short and not get too much into it because I keep talking circles and it's really just an outsider trying to understand the world without even knowing what he's talking about

First I want to say that I don't want to seem like I think any music is garbage, all music is good if even one person likes it in my opinion. I fully agree with you that it's not a requirement to relate to the music you listen to, and I'm not sure relate is exactly what I was trying to get across. I think that either consciously or unconsciously people like to imagine they are in the situation and that goes for all forms of entertainment and doesn't apply to everyone of course. So in that affect, I think if you don't actually relate on some level to the shoe gang's struggle MAYBE it's harder to get into them

So when I talk about relating it's not to say that you HAVE to relate, it's more a question of would more people give them a chance IF they related to them. The intelligence thing I flip back and forth with, it might just be it is rewarding if you are someone who thinks a lot and appreciates deciphering lines

But once again, Fuck if I know! All I know is from my ears they are the best ever and while I don't expect most people to hear it that way it will always baffle me to how anyone could be a fan of hip hop and not have shoe gang and crooked in your top 10, but that's the beauty of music every ones ears will hear it differently and every one is right, only a fool would argue over music

Hopefully that sort of clears up what I meant (Fuckin' Doubt It)
Dude believe me im the same way. I still consider my self a new hiphop fan. Just got around to listening to dilla donuts this year.  People say atliens by outcast is a classic. I thought it was boring.  I havent listened to any slick rick or the juice crew or even poor teachers. I dont know anything about the golden age of hiphop.  Even in other hiphopboards i tend to avoid hiphop discussions and anything historically related because i cant hold an arguement i would get destroyed so fast i have no say lol. So yes i am also an outside person looking in and has no idea wtf he is talking about.

Yeah the post i made was not a knock on you or uso4life.  I totally understand where you are coming from.  How i interpreted uso's message is.  Its not a strip club joint so they cant relate to it. And then you made that post so i just responded how i did.  But you are absolutely right. Its easier to get into an artist if you can relate to their music. From personal experience thats how i became and stay became a fan.    I wish more people listen to crook and the u gang but i definitely dont go out my way to shove music down their throats as i use to.  Imo as you said people have different ears they can listen to what they want and it just happens they dont like ugang as much as we.

im glad we can have this conversation haha .
(09-03-2014, 01:20 AM)J.P link Wrote:Dude believe me im the same way. I still consider my self a new hiphop fan. Just got around to listening to dilla donuts this year.  People say atliens by outcast is a classic. I thought it was boring.  I havent listened to any slick rick or the juice crew or even poor teachers. I dont know anything about the golden age of hiphop.  Even in other hiphopboards i tend to avoid hiphop discussions and anything historically related because i cant hold an arguement i would get destroyed so fast i have no say lol. So yes i am also an outside person looking in and has no idea wtf he is talking about.

Yeah the post i made was not a knock on you or uso4life.  I totally understand where you are coming from.  How i interpreted uso's message is.  Its not a strip club joint so they cant relate to it. And then you made that post so i just responded how i did.  But you are absolutely right. Its easier to get into an artist if you can relate to their music. From personal experience thats how i became and stay became a fan.    I wish more people listen to crook and the u gang but i definitely dont go out my way to shove music down their throats as i use to.  Imo as you said people have different ears they can listen to what they want and it just happens they dont like ugang as much as we.

im glad we can have this conversation haha .

This is what is especially dope about the boss boards and Shoe Gang/Crooked/COB fans, most of the time whether we agree or not, a mostly civil discussion can be had. It doesn't devolve into name calling, no one outside of the trolls present their opinion as fact and often I find a middle ground is found.

I am especially glad for conversations like this because I find that once I put my opinion out there it gives me a better perspective and a chance to reevaluate what I'm wondering, a good example is this topic, I said in one of my posts that it could be intelligence but once I put that out there and had a day or two to reflect while listening I was really noticing that a lot of their new material isn't too intellectual, they are still really smart lyrics and great wordplay, but it's not as complex as some older material, I mean you don't need to be a genius to hear, you got too many squares in your circle y'all waffles, and comprehend what he's saying.

I think I recall stuff off of Ambitions as a Writer being more complex, I hear something along the lines of I'm a peaceful fighter Elijah Muhammad Ali and wonder if people can put together the genius of that line if they didn't happen to know who Elijah Muhammad was(probably not a great example, but it's one that sticks with me as one I didn't pick up on for months because I didn't know who he was)

All in all I think everyone in this topic brought up some really good points that probably all contribute in some way. I do think what Effex said is probably the biggest issue, getting people to listen to a new artist is hard and when someone comes over to kick it they aren't necessarily going to pay close enough attention to the lyrics to actually realize how dope these guys are.

Oh and I'm right with you on not knowing enough about past hip hop, I have a very basic knowledge of some old school stuff(NWA,KRS, Mobb Deep, Biggie) and whatever was mainstream between about 2000-2006, also haven't listened to all the things you mentioned lol hence not knowing the majority of the beats shoe gang has been going over for the monthlies. I honestly don't think it dawned on me until the second or maybe third one that it was in the same format of HHW going over every one elses beats

Anyway I went a little longer than I'd of liked but I appreciate the good discussion buddy
J.P. I didn't take it as a knock homie, everybody has a right to their opinion. I will say its hard for me to listen to other rappers after listening to HSG and SH. I feel like I'm not getting their best. When i listen to HSG or SH i always feel like the guys took quite a bit of time to write their lyrics, except for Crooked of course. A lot of other rappers seem they just put together rhymes and a catchy hook, not any real thought. Not saying they don't its just the way it sounds to me. I am a thinker, and I like to go zone out when i listen to music a get a visual of that MC's emotions at that time, what they are trying to relay to me and you don't get much that from MC's these days. Then on top of that they consistently change up rhyme schemes and patterns and can do pretty much anything you need to do on the mic, even sing if need be, and i say they are, to me the best at. Can't think of anyone even close right now.
^^ That's pretty close to how I am as well, there are a few more factors, I honestly have a hard time listening to even rappers who are above average as I've been spoiled it's like when you hear people say not to have sex on drugs because it ruins the normal experience. Crooked and HSG have set the Bar so high that you have to be something really unique to get my attention. I mean like last year when Kendrick Lamar dropped that song and every one went crazy and yeah it's good and to people who haven't listened to Crook and shoe gang, I get why they would go crazy, but for me it was like meh Crook and Shoe gang have done that for years and no one batted an eye(I also am factoring in that Kendrick had a bigger buzz but Crooks had his own buzz from SH and not gotten that level of hoopla)

And I don't know if it's just my mental perception(giving the benefit of doubt) but I very rarely feel other rappers emotion in their lyrics, listening to a song like My Last Song, I can feel their frustration, though that could be my frustration because I agree with everything in that song, but the point still stands.

They don't paint a picture for me it's more like a movie and even that is selling it short, they don't just put an image in my head there is too much depth for that

God I need to stop posting about the shoe gang  ahaha

OT: does this subforum not count towards post counts because I feel like I've seen uso post WAY more than 9 times, not that it matters in the least bit, just always assumed it did and seeing his post count made me wonder
Yo.. Forreal tho Mixtape Monthly Vol. 10 is fucking fire! If Knocking On Rap's Door is anything like this I'll buy fucking 20 of those bitches and giving em to people who need to listen to it... fuck it ill do it regardless. I agree that I can't listen to alot of rappers cuz I'm spoiled by the U Gang and Slaughterhouse, but its the price us hip hop heads pay by kicking real shit
Im kinda new to the horseshoe gang myself, I only listened to them when featuring on crooked's songs and I must say they are one of the best lyricists ive ever heard. I listened to the 9th and 10th monthly mixtape and I have to admit guys cant really make songs, kind of like slghtrs was when they first put out their mixtape. Its kinda ironic, they're complaining that they dont have a deal when their songs are all hardcore lyrics with bad hooks. Thats the reason why most lyrical rappers have a hard time making it big in the last ten years, they concentrate on the lyrics too much and not so much on the whole song.

No one has better bars than them, BUT bars alone are not enough to get a deal, this isnt 1995. Im not talking about almost going pop like jay z did in 2000, but they need a decent song structure, a nice bridge and a chorus here and there. Guys have terrible choruses, their subject matter isnt really that broad except the struggle theme on this tape, from which you can see was heavily influenced by slghtrs's last tape. Id say slghtrs pretty much mastered making cohesive songs and all hrshshoe gang needs is a little push in the right direction by an unbiased third party. You know, like taking their girl or a friend that isnt their die-hard fan to the studio and ask: ''what do u think of this, would you add or subtract anything?''

I think a K Young feature would fit perfect with them, maybe even some girl that can sing. With all the bashing I must say that on couple of these songs they had a few decent choruses, Willow Street is my favorite. Although I really enjoy listening to their breathtaking wity rhythmic bars, I often roll my eyes while listening to the chorus, it's like...the deeper the bars, the retarded the chorus is.